Sunday, May 9, 2010

Chisholm Trail

Well I reached in my pocket and I pulled out a penny
She says, "For that you won't get any."

(Chorus Below)

So come and tie my root around a tree, 'round a tree
Come and tie my root around a tree.

I reached in my pocket and I pulled out a nickel
She says, "For that you won't even get a tickle."

(Chorus)

I reached in my pocket and I pulled out a dime
She says, "For that you're wasting your time."

(Chorus)

Well I reached in my pocket and I pulled out a quarter
She says, "Young man, I'm a minister's daughter."

(Chorus)

And I reached in my pocket and I pulled out a half
She didn't even talk, just started to laugh.

(Chorus)

And I reached in my pocket and I pulled out a dollar
She took my hand and she put it in her collar.

(Chorus)

So I reached in my pocket and I pulled out a five
She says, "Come inside, we'll see if you're alive."

(Chorus)

Well I rode her a-standin and I rode her a-lyin'
If I had wings I'd a-rode her flyin'.

(Chorus)

And I went to the doctor 'cuz my gun was sore
"Good Lord," said the doctor, "it's the same damn whore."

(Chorus)

You can put away your holster, put away your gun
your bough's been breached and your shootin's done.

(Chorus)

Well the last time I seen her, I haven't seen her since
She was hustlin' a bull through a barbed-wire fence.

(Chorus)

Source: Brand, Oscar, and Dave Sear.Bawdy Hootenanny. Audio Fidelity, 1963.

No comments: